Conditions for benefiting from the arrangement

1. Applicants qualify if they fulfill following conditions:

  • hold tertiary qualifications, or have successfully completed or have completed at least two (2) years of undergraduate university study;
  • have sufficient means, i.e. a minimum of AUD 5000;
  • provide a letter from the relevant government body of Luxembourg (national youth service - Service national de la jeunesse, SNJ) which includes consent to their stay in Australia under the terms of this arrangement.

2. Additional mandatory and general conditions to be fulfilled:

  • Intend primarly to holiday in Australia for a period of up to twelve calendar months, employment being incidental and accessory;
  • have a level of proficiency in English which is assessed as at least functional;
  • be aged between 18 and have not turned 31 years at the time of application;
  • will not be accompanied by dependent children;
  • hold a valid passport;
  • possess a valid return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket;
  • pay the visa application charge (Note: The visa application charges have changed since 1st of July 2018 and have gone up to $450 AUD);
  • agree to hold medical and comprehensive hospitalization insurance which will remain in force throughout their stay in Australia;
  • be a first time applicant under this Scheme;
  • submit a medical certificate, proving that they are not suffering from an illness or infirmity that might pose a risk to health, public order, or public security
  • produce a document vouching for their good character;

The letter of support can be obtained by sending a request to: or

Service national de la jeunesse

Work and holiday

L-2165 Luxembourg

You are required to provide:

  • a copy of a valid passport
  • a copy of one other form of identification with current residential address (f.ex. telephone account, registration certificate, ...)
  • a proof of your tertiary qualifications, "diplôme de technicien en hôtellerie" or "diplôme de technicien en tourisme", or a letter from your university confirming the level of study or original academic transcripts.